Essential and Marginal Duties and Responsibilities: Essential and other important responsibilities and duties that must be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Leads the development and implementation of communications strategies and ensures that active communications with internal and external audiences remains a priority;
• Ensures public understanding of RTA’s initiatives by directing, implementing and evaluating communication, marketing, branding and public consultation strategies that include research, analysis of issues and assessments of public opinions;
• Facilitates accurate and timely communication of information on RTA issues by maintaining positive relations with internal and external organizations;
• Pro-actively identifies and analyses potential issues that may develop as a result of RTA policies, programs or Board decisions; and recommends effective responses;
• Identifies trends in public opinion and media coverage; briefs senior staff on those trends and provides strategic advice on building and maintaining positive relationships between RTA and its various stakeholders;
• Responsible for the development of promotional, educational, marketing, advertising, and customer relations programs.
• Leads in-house advertising and manages advertising and research contracts.
• Serves as Media Relations Spokesperson.
• Works with RTA staff to develop and implement marketing campaigns designed to increase customer awareness and service utilization.
• Responsible for the development and administration of the RTA regional marketing plan.
• Coordinates the production of marketing materials, contracting with and overseeing the professional services provided by external agencies.
• Supervises department personnel by ensuring activities comply with all RTA personnel policies, practices, and procedures in all areas of employment such as work assignment and review, training, performance evaluation, discipline, and safety.
• Emergency Management Liaison to provide real time information to media outlets and public during weather related emergencies.
• Responsible for the development, monitoring and adherence to annual department budget.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Maintains confidentiality regarding all RTA related business information and personnel issues.
• Performs other duties as assigned including, but not limited to: general contract solicitation and monitoring activities.
It is RTA’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities. To request an ADA accommodation regarding employment, please contact the Director of Operations and/or the Human Resources Department.
• Demonstrated ability in enhancing internal/external communication and building strong working environments and stakeholder relationships;
• Demonstrated experience or ability to work in the public sector with elected officials, public, media, community organizations, etc.;
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate in both oral and written form.
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects;
• Prioritization of workflow, managing projects, and completing time-sensitive and critical tasks;
• Demonstrated experience in organizing media announcements/conferences;
• Possess strong media, community, government and corporate networks / contacts;
• Advertising, marketing, public relations, and creative production techniques, i.e. printing processes, graphics composition, media buying/scheduling;
• Intergovernmental relations;
• Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources; and
• Correct English usage, spelling and vocabulary.
• Gather and interpret transit industry consumer and market information;
• Manage multiple projects within fast-paced working environment;
• Think critically and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of contractors and RTA staff;
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
• Willingly foster a positive work environment;
• Provide service in a courteous and professional manner;
• Exercise independent judgment and responsible decision making;
• Comply with Regional Transportation Authority policies and procedures; and
• Make effective presentations to the Board of Directors and other parties.
• Strong verbal and writing communication skills suitable for all media consumption;
• Manage time of self and subordinates;
• Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills;
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal relationship and teambuilding skills to work with a culturally and economically diverse community and to implement assigned programs and supervise assigned personnel;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and/or similar spreadsheet application(s);
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and/or similar word processing application(s);
• Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint and/or similar application(s);
• Proficiency in PC and MAC systems
• Proficiency in Adobe-Illustrator, Photoshop, and Design
• Proficiency in Website maintenance and HTML applications; and
• Bilingual skills are strongly preferred.
Experience and Training Requirements:
This position requires any equivalent combination of the following training, education and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job.
• Education: Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Public Administration, Communications or a related field.
• Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of related including three (3) years supervisory experience.
• License or certificate: Possession of an appropriate, valid TX Driver’s License on the date of application as required for position to operate RTA vehicles.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Works primarily in a typical, climate controlled office environment. Average amount of overtime and extended work hours are required. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of the job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. Standard physical activity includes, but is not limited to, sitting, standing, and walking activities. Essential and marginal functions require maintaining physical conditions necessary to carry/lift/push or pull loads up to 10lbs.